Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Chinatown


Before going to Chinatown I expected it to be hard. I knew that these people have different views and believes than I do, and I was not sure on how to approach them. When we were supposed to go and complete our interviews, we just stood around for a while. We just stared at each other and we had no idea on how to start the interviews. I was the one who approached someone first. A lot of people said no to us, and it was hard and frustrating. There was even one female that thought that we just wanted to ask for money.
Fruitvale and Chinatown are different. They represent really different cultures and backgrounds. When I am in Fruitvale I feel really comfortable, and when I was in Chinatown I felt really awkward. The similarities between these to places were that there is a sense of community. People in both places interact nicely with each other. They feel connected.
What surprised me about Chinatown was that it was dirty. I expected Chinatown to be cleaner that Oakland, but it was the same if not worse. For example, there was a trashcan and right next to it there was a big mess. Overall it was a good experience.

1 comment:

babycheeks said...

I can relate to your experience in Chinatown. Mine was pretty much the same.

-ale =)